I’ve been on a quest to find a granola-like mixture to add to my coconut yogurt. I really need to have the added crunch to properly enjoy yogurt. I have pretty impossible parameters for the granola I was after. Granola is one of those foods that is always touted as being healthy or good fibrous snack. The hard truth is that it is typically laden with sugar and other ingredients that lack dense nutrition, or are questionable. I wanted something that was gluten free, sugar free, seed free, and didn’t have nuts that may have been roasted at temperatures that could damage the delicate fats.
I decided the only way to meet my criteria would be to make my own.
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1 cup Organic Walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup Coconut flakes
- 1 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 whole Egg Whites
- 2 tsp Organic Ghee
- 1 tsp Vanilla powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all the nuts, and coconut in a bowl and mix well. In a separate large bowl, whisk together egg whites, vanilla powder, ghee, and sea salt until it becomes slightly fluffy.
- Pour nut mixture into the egg mix well and combine until everything is evenly covered.
- Spread out the granola mixture in a semi thin layer on a piece of non stick parchment (note: it is important that the mixture is somewhat even in thickness as this will prevent certain areas from burning while other parts coming out too soft).
- Place the granola in the middle of the oven and bake at 200 degrees. Set the timer in 30 minutes and stir the mixture every 10-15 mins until it is golden brown and fragrant.
The granola turnout out great! By the looks of it you half expect it to be super sweet because at first glance the mixture looks candied. Its the perfect blend to add to yogurt!
Read more here about the roasting temperatures of nuts and why I recommend toasting them at a low temperature. Always buy raw nuts! I really recommend always eating your nuts raw, but if you must roast do it yourself! That way you can control the temperature.
Subscribe to my Beautycounter newsletter
Stay up to date on promotions and new products!