My mom loves spice cake, so for her birthday I decided to experiment with an alternative to the traditional cake recipe. I swapped the sugar out for Lakanto golden sweetener.
The results were great! The cake was pretty dense – probably due to the coconut/almond flour combo. It had a light sweetness to it and a good amount of flavor from the spices I used.
I definitely don’t think incorporating cleaned up dessert recipes should be incorporated into your daily routine. They do have their draw-backs, but for a special occasion like a birthday I am all for experimenting with less conventional recipes!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Lakanto golden sweetener
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbl cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Grease two round 6-inch cake pans with coconut oil.
- Add all of the cake ingredients into a large bowl and mix them together thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan. – It will have a thick / fluffy consistency, don’t be alarmed.
- Cook the cakes for about 40 minutes, or until the edges are brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- After the cakes are done cooking, allow them to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan, and frost it! You can sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg on top for decor if desired.
- Slice and enjoy!
Subscribe to my Beautycounter newsletter
Stay up to date on promotions and new products!