Sugar Free Apple Pie
I have always preferred pie over cake. Its delicious and is often less sugary tasting than most cakes. Im my family many people opt to have birthday pie rather than the traditional birthday cake.
I really love a tart apple pie. Using granny smiths is key! For this pie I used organic apples – which is really a must. When it comes to pesticide toxicity apples can be one of the most highly contaminated items. Check out the rest of the list here.
- 8 Organic granny smith apples
- 1/3 cup golden lakanto
- 2 tbl cinnamon
- 1/4 ts nutmeg
- 1/4 inch thick – 5-6 slices
- 2 cup Otto’s Natural Cassava Flour
- 4 TBL Arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp (opt) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup grass fed butter, let set at room temp for about 10 minutes, cut into about 1″ pieces
- 2 pastured eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup room temp water (this will vary)
- Start by making the crust
- Cut up your butter and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to your bowl that has the butter. Use a pastry cutter to mix. The dough will begin to resemble crumbs.
- Next add your whisked eggs into butter/flour mixture. Work everything together with a wooden spoon or continue using the pastry cutter.
- Next add half of your water and work it into the crumb mixture, add more water a little at a time until it’s the right consistency and isn’t too sticky. You should be able to touch it and not have dough stick to your fingers. When you reach this point divide the dough into 2 balls.
- Lay down one sheet of parchment paper and dust with some arrowroot powder, place your dough ball in the center and flatten slightly into a disc, then dust with more arrowroot or cassava flour if needed. Place a second sheet of parchment on top and slowly begin to roll out the dough into a large circle.
- Roll the dough out until it is 1/4″ thick.
- You will need a top and bottom crust so roll out two large discs.
- Wash and peel your apples.
- Quarter each apple and then slice each quarter into 1/2 inch slices – sort way.
- too the apples in your lakanto + spice mix.
- Add apples to pie pan that has been lined with the bottom crust disc.
- Place 5-6 butter slices onto the top of the apples
- cover with your second disc.
- form and seal the edges of the crust.
- add holes to the top to act as vents.
bake at 450 15 mins
Turn down oven to 350 and bake for 45 more minutes.
crust from: http://www.ottosnaturals.com/recipe/